As flickers of starlight in a constellation of living bodies, the figures in my paintings are solitary, but not alone. The inward moment they are captured in; their form fusing with paint, marks and textures, acts as a portal to spaces behind knowledge, a sensory sea of feeling, a self beneath our belief of the self. Us, simultaneously set in consciousness and clay.
Symbolised in paint are the comforting and familiar objects which reveal themselves through the haze of daily life. A repetition of natural reminders cutting through a technology-driven Age. The horizon in your periphery as you travel. The tree you see every morning unrewardingly standing as the backbone to your inner monologue. City lights floating on water at night, flowers scattered like fallen stars on the land, silhouettes of hills behind buildings, birds, blossom, branches, our own personal talismans of nature and living. Motifs and markers that guide us subliminally.
And like the movement of migrating birds we connect. Our dreams and designs launching into the cosmos, gravitating towards kin, leaving invisible threads with which to weave a life.
These themes are the crux of my work, meandering across the territory of the Human Condition, exploring the constant dialogue, contrasts and tensions between the lives we lead and the lives we feel, our outer and inner worlds, the spaces between the parts. Exploring our individuation as well as our innate connections to nature, time and ultimately to each other. Telling the story of us from the inside out, through painting. Somewhere between a wish and a call to arms.
Represented by Edgar Modern, Bath
*Écriture Féminine, Edgar Modern Gallery, Bath. 20th February 2016 - 5th March 2016
‘Looking To The Stars’ Group Launch show, The Hornshaw Gallery, Brick Lane Gallery (Annexe) London, 6th April - 10th April 2016
Selected Group Exhibitions
* RWA 163rd Open Exhibition, Royal West of England Academy, Bristol, 4th October - 29th November 2015
*Summer Exhibition, Edgar Modern Gallery, Bath, 22nd Aug 2015 - 17th Sept 2015
* Affordable Art Fair, Hampstead Heath London, With Edgar Modern Gallery, 11th - 14th June 2015
*Black Swan Open 2014, 6th Dec - 10th Jan 2015, Frome, Somerset.
*7th Feb-27th Feb 2014 ‘Divine, Define, Feminine’. LondonArt, 20-22 Grove Vale East, SE22 8EF, London.
* 14th March 2013 ‘Something Special’ Art auction & exhibition in aid of Joss Searchlight, Blackall Studios, Shoreditch, London.
*Feb 11th - 31st March 2012 Black Swan Open Art 2012, Black Swan Arts, Frome
*Oct - Dec 2010 - RWA Friends Exhibition, RWA Clifton Bristol
(2D Selectors’ Choice Winner)
* October - December 2009 - RWA Friends Exhibition, RWA Bristol
* 26th October 2008- 14th December 2008- RWA Friends Exhibition
* 19th Sept - 10th Dec 2006 The Holburne Contemporary Portrait Prize at The Holburne Museum of Art, Bath
* Aug - Sept 06 'Identity' Group show at Clarion Contemporary Art, London.
* February/March 2006 - 'Bright Days', The Wonderwall Gallery, Cirencester.
* Oct-Dec 2005 'Invited Artist' Malvern Theatres,Curated by The Cowleigh Gallery, Malvern.
* March 2005 - 'Figure and Space',Clarion Contemporary Art, London,
* Oct-Dec 2004 - RWA 152nd Autumn Open Exhibition, Royal West of England Academy,Bristol
* Oct-Dec 2003 - RWA 151st Autumn Open Exhibition, Royal West of England Academy, Bristol.
* June 2003 - The Daily Mail's 'Not The Turner Prize' Finalist Show, Mall Gallery, London,
Oct-Dec 2002 - RWA Friends Exhibition, RWA, Bristol,
* July 2002 - 'Comma' Works from Bath School of Art, Truman Brewery, Brick Lane, London, .
* May 2002 - Bath School of Art Degree Show, Bath Spa University,
The Cowleigh Gallery, Malvern. 2004 - 2008
Clarion Contemporary Art, London, 2004 - 2008
The Lotus Gallery, Bath, 2003 - 2004
* June 2005 - 'The Space Between', Clarion Contemporary Art, London.
* Aug 2004 - Solo Show, New Gallery, RWA, Bristol.
* April 2003 - 'Undercurrents', Solo Show, Walcot Chapel, Bath,
* 2010 RWA Friends Selectors’ Choice 2D prize winner, RWA, Bristol Dec 2010
* Shortlist for 2006 Holburne Portrait Prize, Bath
* Regional Shortlist 'Big Art Challenge', Channel Five, Nov 2004.
* Emerging Artist Award, Venue Magazine / RWA, Dec 2003.
* Finalist Exhibition of Daily Mail's 'Not The Turner Prize', June 2003.